Friday, June 1, 2012

A Trip to Crystal of Knowledge Library


Good evening friends! How’s your final exam week? I hope that we will all do well in our final!

In this post want to share my experience in visiting our campus library.
So, I was inspired by Ristina’s post about a unique library which is located in Netherland. The library offers a unique concept that looks very comfortable with complete collection of books. So a few weeks ago, when we have essay assignment for the class, I intended to find books as a reference of my essay in the library. I found out there are things that should be improved in our campus library service.

As we know, our library has its own website which is http://lontar.ui.ac.id/ . In this website we can easily find the books that we want to get, unfortunately I think that the database of the books isn’t well managed. I find it hard to find books that I want. The next day, I visit the library to search the books that I needed, and because I can’t find it in the book-directory in the website, I start to search it manually. I spent 2 hours before I found the book that I was searching for. The librarian are not so helpful, when I asked about the book that I was searching, they were only telling me the block where architecture books could be found and  tell me to find the exact location  in the book-directory. Beside that, I think the librarians are not friendly at all. I was going to borrow some books, the librarian ask my student card and the books while still focusing on his computer, and when the borrowing procedure was finished, he gave me the books without saying anything. Another thing that upset me is the circulation of the books which I think is very slow. A view month ago, when we’re having the lecture assignment in Visual Art class, I decided to borrow a book about Pop Art, so I search it in the library book directory. I found a book about Pop Art then take note on the book’s code, but when I tried to find it in the library, I couldn’t find, so I thought that maybe someone had borrowed it, so I asked the librarian. He said that the book was borrowed by someone. For some weeks I waited till the book was returned, but not until a few weeks ago I could found the book in the library. I’m a bit disappointed when the book I need were not there at the first time when I really need it, maybe the book directory should also gives us the information when a book is borrowed by someone else, so that we don’t waste our time going to  the library just to check whether the book we need is available. 

A library should be a comfortable place since it plays a big role in our academic life. I think it should be a good idea for our library to make an improvement on its service quality, so that in the future our library could be a comfortable place to gain knowledge, even though it is not really as unique as the library that we found in Ristina’s post.

Rifda Marwa Ufaira
1106847092

2 comments:

  1. Hai Rifda, I agree with your statement that our campus library still need improvement. Well, our campus library it's already a comfortable and nice place to visit, but sometimes I wondering about the purpose of this building. This is library, but they only improve the ground floor part, which is the restaurant, and other place to hang out. The place to read it's already nice and comfort, but the place where all the books are stored it's not as good as the other place, and sometimes you can't find the book that you are looking for because the disarrangement of the book (exm. in the computer the book is in the A area, but the fact is in the B area). In my opinion, they should be priority the book stored area and the "borrowed" book thing since this place is a library.

    Tri Octiviani - 1106127941

    ReplyDelete
  2. Octi's brought up some valid points. The library has become very consumer oriented, with all the restaurants and the recent addition of the gym. I personally go to library for the restaurants, I am just not sold by the system of borrowing books there. I would rather go to the computer lab to browse for information than borrow a book, I don't see the practicality of borrowing a book from the library, for one I still don't understand how the transactions of borrowing a book from the library. I feel that if you put so much effort in attracting people with restaurants and gyms, an effort should be made to highlight the actual purpose of the library, the books.

    Alver Giandri Melvern - 1106023663

    ReplyDelete