Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Candy Room


       Hello everyone, I was browsing through the internet and I found an interesting store in Melbourne, Australia, called "The Candy Room". I suppose from its name you already know that it is a store that sells sweets. But, it caught my attention the moment I saw the design of its interior.




    The Candy Room was owned by Cristina Velardo and Leonie Schwetzer who own the company Sweet Enough. Sweet Enough is a company that import sugar free products across Australia[1]. They hire the RED Design Group "with a brief for a store that had to be edgy, humorous and uniquely charismatic. It was not to be simply a shop; it had to be a destination and an experience".[2]

Cristina Velardo and Leonie Schwetzer

      So, the design of the store has a design that emphasize with the concept of illusion to make the customers go back to their childhood using the playfulness of its design to create a sense of childhood and fantasy.  To achieve this, all the wall was painted white to create a white space, and then it is exaggerated and contrasted through the usage of black artwork lines to draw cartoonish furnitures and a kitchen. The sense of children is created through the help of the sweets there, and if you look at the pictures at first glance, you would notice that the drawings are made by kids or teenagers. Finally, an illusional experience of 'room' and childish was created, even though there is no 'room'.



       Personally I don't really like sweets, but I like the design of this store because even though I just see it from photographs, I can already sense a small part of the unique space there and I feel like going back to my childhood for a moment. I would love to go there someday so I can really feel the strong experience. So, for those of you who like sweets, you should stop by at this store if you go to Melbourne.

All the images above are taken from http://gizmodo.com/5907910/amazing-candy-store-looks-like-it-was-drawn-by-kids/gallery/7

Sources: 
  1. [1]   <http://thecandyroom.com.au/about_us_2.html>
  2. [2]  <http://reddesigngroup.com.au/projects/CandyRoom.aspx>
  3. Liszewski, Andrew. (2012, May 5th). "Amazing Candy Store Looks Like It Was Drawn By Kids". <http://gizmodo.com/5907910/amazing-candy-store-looks-like-it-was-drawn-by-kids/gallery/7>
By JONATHAN SWIFT 106071896

2 comments:

  1. Hey jo! Nice post you got here :) by the way just wanna ask, why do you think they use black and white to bring people to their childhood? Personally I think cheerful and colorful space would remind me of my childhood more than a black and white space, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment dea.

    I'm sorry because I forgot to mention that the designer was influenced by the idea of playfulness and simplicity. You can see the playful elements from the drawing of the furnitures on the wall. The simplicity is from the use of black and white strokes.

    I agree with you that cheerful and colorful spaces can also remind me of my childhood, but simplicity is one of their concepts. If they had used colorful colors, then it would make it 'crowded' right? Besides, the contrast created by black and white has also help to create the sense of illusion, right? haha

    -Jonathan Swift 1106071896

    ReplyDelete